BullCharts Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > BullCharts > BullCharts discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Vista support?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
hutchley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hutchley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vista support?
    Posted: 27 Nov 2006 at 8:19am

I'm currently evaluating BullCharts 3.4.1 under Windoze XP - looking for an alternative to my existing Metastock 7.2. Finding it easier to create the scans I require, and happy with the performance of BullCharts thus far.

I have one issue though, which may also affect others in the near future, and that it the question of Vista compatibility. I will very likely be running Vista on a new laptop in the nexy few months (comes pre-installed), and wondered if BullCharts will run under this new OS? It would be pointless to fork out for the software only to find it is unusable in 2-3 months time.

xerques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote xerques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2006 at 9:57pm
Unlikely, unless Vista provides for 32-bit applics.
Bullcharts people did not even know if it worked on WinXP 64-bit.  It had never been tested on that platform.  But then WinXP 64-bit has lots of issues with 32-bit applications, from my experience.

You may like to ask the Bullcharts people before you buy.  They are usually responsive until after your purchase.

Owen View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote Owen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 6:25pm
Vista is so new, I'm happy with staying with XP. At least I know my softwares work well on XP.
DavidSFN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavidSFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 2:44pm

I hope the BC people understand that MSDE is no longer supported under Windows Vista.

I have been running Vista since it was released to enterprise customers and gold partners back in November. I have slowly been resolving my way through a myriad of compatability issues and now i'm up to bullcharts. But without MSDE i'm not going to get very far, the application itself ofcourse runs.

Microsoft advised many moons ago that there would be no MSDE support in Windows Vista, they also posted a guidence for how to migrate to the replacement product - SQL server 2005 express.

So I am hoping that there will be a version of bullcharts shipping VERY soon with SQL 2005 support (I haven't tried running it on SQL2005 myself but I doubt it would work). Ofcourse when I rang bullsystems I was put onto someone who sounded confused by this whole "vista" thing. But you get that...

investforwealth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote investforwealth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2007 at 12:54pm

I recently bought a new PC with an Intel QX6700 Quad-Core 64-Bit CPU.  Looking to the future, I ordered it with 4GB of RAM.  The machine came with Windows Vista 64-bit.  Unfortunately 32-bit OS's can't see more than 3GB of RAM so I was reluctant to ditch Vista to install XP.

XP 64-Bit was a dog and not well supported by either software developers or hardware manufacturers and driver and software support for it were horrendous, so that was pretty much a non option.

Eventually I arrived at the current solution, which was to purchase a copy of VMware 6.0 and to install Windows XP as a virtual machine from which to run BullCharts and a couple of other packages I have that aren't happy in a Vista environment.  VMware 6.0 is a great improvement over previous versions and runs really nicely on my high-end machine.  Having multiple monitors helps, as I'm able to dedicate one or two of my four monitors to the virtual machine and move my mouse seamlessly between each monitor.  It's as if I'm not running a virtual machine at all!

If you've got a highly spec'd PC and wish to run Vista AND BullCharts, this is a very acceptable solution.

That said, I'll be very happy when I can run BullCharts on Vista!!!!

zzkazu View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote zzkazu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2007 at 11:01am
I'm currently evaluating version 3.6.4 of bullcharts.  It works great on vista..

I understand once the beat testing is over this will be released to the public..
Owen View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote Owen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2007 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by zzkazu

I'm currently evaluating version 3.6.4 of bullcharts.  It works great on vista..

Great in what way? Tell us more!
investforwealth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote investforwealth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2007 at 3:16pm

Wish I'd known it wasn't far off; I wouldn't have spent almost $250 on VMware!

zzkazu View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote zzkazu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2007 at 10:40pm
Some new features which I haven't investigated yet properly,  but the most important bit its stable..

ott
 Post Reply Post Reply