FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Price Axis preferences

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
Cobra View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Price Axis preferences
    Posted: 12 Mar 2005 at 2:10am

Would it be possible to have some more options with regard to setting the price axis?. For eg,. be able to set the minimum scale increment in dollars eg 0.001, 0.01, .1?. It would be handy if the price increment could be adjusted and then have the option to 'snap to' the curser or crosshair. You could get really fancy and have the scale auto set depending on the range of the share price eg for shares under 10 cents, the scale would be 3 decimal places increment of 0.001 cents, for 10 to 50 cents 3 decimal places in increment of half cents, and over 50 cents 2 decimal places in increments of a cent. In other words, a price scale for ASX price ranges. Now if you could combine all the price scales on the one chart that would be ideal . Is that the same as a log scale?? Starting at 0 to 10 cents in 0.001 increments, then 10 to 50 cents in 0.005 increments, then 50 cents upwards 0.01 increments.
In any case, it would be good to have 'snap to price' crosshairs option.

BullCharts version:3.4.1.28129
Windows XP SP2
Tim Allen View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tim Allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2005 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Cobra

You could get really fancy and have the scale auto set depending on the range of the share price eg for shares under 10 cents, the scale would be 3 decimal places increment of 0.001 cents, for 10 to 50 cents 3 decimal places in increment of half cents, and over 50 cents 2 decimal places in increments of a cent. In other words, a price scale for ASX price ranges. Now if you could combine all the price scales on the one chart that would be ideal . Is that the same as a log scale??

A semi-log scale (double-click on the price axis, click Semi-Log, click OK) is very much like that, only smoother. For example, in semi-log mode, if I view the entirety of BHP's history then BullCharts shows the price range from $3 to $4 with the same detail as the price-range from $15 to $20. However, when you zoom in, BullChart's auto-scaling ensures that you always get the most detailed view that still shows all the data in a given price range, so semi-log mode doesn't really help you.
Cobra View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2005 at 5:14pm
Yes, i think I confused the issue mentioning the word 'log'. What I was after was a minimum 'snap to' prices scale. The ASX have scales for prices depending on what range the price is in, as detailed above. With Bullcharts I find that I'm wanting to find an exact price as per the ASX ranges but Bullcharts gives me a much 'smoother' scale than I need. For eg, a share is trading at 40.5 cents. The tradeable tick value in this price range is half a cent, yet BC will display values to a much greater precision, which is not really required (displaying a non-tradable price eg 40.123 cents). It is hard lining up a crosshair to find the price unless you zoom in all the time. If it was possible to set the price scale, either at a fixed value or ideally to auto scale according to the ASX price ranges, and then be able to snap to these points via the crosshair would make it a lot easier to read an exact price.

Edited by Cobra
Windows XP SP2
Peter View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2005 at 9:33am
This has been a tricky one because there are many situations when only tradeable prices are required, and there are many situations where greater precision is required. Would you find it convenient if I assigned a hotkey to snap to the nearest tradeable price, similar to the hotkeys for snapping to O,H,L,C, etc?
Cobra View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2005 at 1:33pm
I can't say that I can think of a situation where you would need to have precision greater than the tradeable price. Maybe some other users can provide a reason(s)?.
Ideally, it would be a set & forget preference type thing, not really something I would need to press multiple hot-key combinations. I'm not sure how other charting programs do it, but at a minimum I would think that BC had the option of selecting the scale 'ticks', or auto scale 'ticking' (as detailed above with the scale changing when in a price band) depending on the price.  If it's at all programmatically possible, it would be really good to have multiple price scaling (scales) within the single Y axis, but still retain the relative proportions eg 0 to 10 cents in 0.001 increments would be the same measurement (distance on the y scale?)? as 50 to 60 cents in 1 cent increments, it would just be more 'compacted'. Maybe it's something the other chart programs don't have yet?
Or, maybe a simpler solution would be to get the highest traded price on the viewable chart, determine what the tradeable ASX price tick is for that price, then scale (and option snap-to) to that?.
Windows XP SP2
Peter View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2005 at 4:16pm
One example where precision is required: A 10 day moving average on close can take on values at 1dp finer resolution than the close itself. If one wanted to draw a trendline from trough to trough on this moving average, then the drawing precision would be required.

But your points are valid, and your ideas are good. Will see what we can do.
Cobra View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2005 at 9:24pm

Another problem with the Y scale, this time when displaying a volume pane, is that the volume total displayed in the Y scale panel is not displayed fully. Or, it is being truncated. Either way, it is difficult to see the last period volume.
Would it be possible to have the last period volume displayed next to the price data in the top left hand corner as well?.
Eg Open Hi Lo Close Change(cents) Change (%) Volume and/or enable this area to have properties to set what is displayed and what format to display it?.

Windows XP SP2
Peter View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2005 at 9:40am
You can right-click the volume pane and select "pane properties". Then tick "show pane title bar". Will see if we can do something about the volume axis-tag for the next version.
Cobra View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2005 at 11:41am
FYI, The ASX have changed the price steps as follows -

Pre 1 April 2005 Post 1 April 2005
Price Range Price Step Increments Price Range Price Step Increments
0.1 cent to 9.9 cents 0.1 cent increments 0.1 cent to 9.9 cents 0.1 cent increments
10 cents to 49.5 cents 0.5 cent increments  10 cents to $1.995 0.5 cent increments
50 cents to $999  1 cent increments  $2.00 to $999 1 cent increments
$1000 or greater $1.00 increments  $1000 or greater $1.00 increments 

Windows XP SP2
 Post Reply Post Reply