FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Drag and drop in Watchlists

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
kneighbour View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneighbour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drag and drop in Watchlists
    Posted: 20 Feb 2005 at 11:41am

I use watchlists to narrow down my trading candidates. I make a "Possibles" watchlist - usually from some scan or other.

Then I go through the charts and look at each stock. Good looking ones I move into a "Hot List". When I trade one, I move it into the "Current Trades" watchlist. All pretty typical I guess.

The thing is it is not easy to move stocks from one watchlist to the other.

The best way I have found is to simply drag the stock from list to list. This works - except for the problem that dragging a stock actually COPIES it - it does not MOVE it. So then I have to go back and delete the stock from the original watchlist. It can be hard to remember the ticker symbol of the one I just moved - so I have to look in the destination folder - and try to remember which one it was. I kid you not - but perhaps I am just getting to old!

It would be great if dragging/dropping a stock actually moved it. It would be even better if there were watchlist functions on the right-mouse menu. ie

- remove from current watchlist (ie Delete)

- move to watchlist (and then a list of watchlists)

And of course on the chart you need similar functions - but especially - Add to watchlist (then list of watchlists).

The other problem is that when you delete a stock from a watchlist - the list does not position itself to the next stock properly. The selection bar in the list goes to the next stock ok - but the stock chart is not displayed. So then you have to click on the previous stock, then back onto the next one again to get the chart displayed. This becomes quickly annoying if you are moving quite a few stocks around.

Peter View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2005 at 9:40am
I will consider making it move by default, and copy if you hold down Ctrl (similar to how windows explorer works).

Do other people have any preference in this matter?
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneighbour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2005 at 1:11pm

You could also follow the default Windows operation - although that is a bit more complicated.

ie if you drag with the left mouse - it is usually a Copy. Just as you have it now.

If you drag with the right mouse - you are shown a menu - where you can copy or move.

That would be more standard.

But then - why would you EVER want to copy stocks from watchlist to watchlist? I guess it is possible, but I cannot image why you would.

Cobra View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2005 at 3:39pm
I copy from watchlist to watchlist all the time.  I have core watchlists  which I then make working subsets from depending on the chart patterns, which can get deleted and not worry about my core watchlists
I'm happy with Peter's solution
snip
I will consider making it move by default, and copy if you hold down Ctrl (similar to how windows explorer works).
snip
so long as the focus reverts back to the list that you were working on, eg if it's a copy, the focus goes back to the stock copied, if it's a move, the focus goes to the next stock, whose chart is then displayed.
BullCharts version:3.4.1.28129
Windows XP SP2
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneighbour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2005 at 11:34pm

Originally posted by Cobra

I copy from watchlist to watchlist all the time.  I have core watchlists  which I then make working subsets from depending on the chart patterns, which can get deleted and not worry about my core watchlists

I never thought of that. It seems a good idea and I will see if the idea suits me also. Thanks.

Originally posted by Cobra

I'm happy with Peter's solution

Me too.

Peter View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2005 at 10:12am
Ok, this is done and will be in the next version. And focus is kept on the original folder. 
SimonSavva View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote SimonSavva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2005 at 4:59pm

Ahhh....Excellent. Will help me also. I do a scan in the morning, then copy the ones to a Long Shortlist/Short Shortlist.

My main concern is that when I drag drop I have to then refocus on the original folder, then scroll down to where I'm up to.

My memory is still good enough for this  but its all the little useability enhancements (as well as the big ones)that add up to one great product. Appreciate the fix. One less thing to remember, and more time saved during the busy 9-10am preparing period.

Edited by SimonSavva
Cobra View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 11:53pm
I dont have the latest version of BC, but when I try to drag & drop codes between watchlists, it doesn't appear to work correctly eg I need 2 clicks on the 'from' watchlist before it will drag the code to the new watchlist. Does this happen with the latest version also?

Update - still happens in V3. Copy does not work either.
The first time you do a control-click copy it works, but the you need to click twice on the next code to move or copy

Edited by Cobra
BullCharts version:3.4.1.28129
Windows XP SP2
Tim Allen View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tim Allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2005 at 9:49am
Yes, we're aware that drag-and-drop from watchlist to watchlist is... suboptimal. We haven't had time to figure out exactly what the problem is, but we've noted it down and we'll look at it when we can.
 Post Reply Post Reply