FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Decluttering intraday signals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
cmacdon View Drop Down
BullCharts Guru
BullCharts Guru

Post Options Post Options   Quote cmacdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Decluttering intraday signals
    Posted: 08 Dec 2012 at 10:52am
Here is a technique developed over last couple of days to declutter signals for start of intraday trading.  (The Format/Time Axis/Hidden option did not produce small enough gaps between each day so this technique was developed).
I'll use my VSA signals example although the technique can be applied with the code below for any indicator which produces too many signals on smaller timeframe intraday bars.

Some self explanatory screen shots will be posted below.

Essentially I only want to see the signals over the first 10 bars at the start of each day to day trade astock.  Once in the trade normal trending techniques will show whether to stay or get out.

1.  Remove the cluttering indicator and put a vertical line on the first bar of each day.

[target=Price]

{Identifies first bar of the day See Definition under Hour in Help}

[name=First Intraday bar; Width=1; linestyle=verticalmarker; Color=Black]

if(Hour<hist(Hour,1),c,undefined);

2) Amend the offending cluttered indicator by asdding code below to only show the signals on the first 10 intraday bars to allow a selection for the day during first hour of trading.

prelimOpBar:=if(Hour<hist(Hour,1),1,undefined);

OpBar:=if(prelimOpBar OR Hist(prelimOpBar,1) OR Hist(prelimOpBar,2) OR Hist(prelimOpBar,3) OR Hist(prelimOpBar,4) OR Hist(prelimOpBar,5) OR Hist(prelimOpBar,6) OR Hist(prelimOpBar,7) OR Hist(prelimOpBar,8) OR Hist(prelimOpBar,9) OR Hist(prelimOpBar,10), 1,undefined);

And add into the normal  indicator signal codes this line

If (OpBar=1 AND … then rest of the indicator signal code

I will post charts separately below

BC User since June 2007
cmacdon View Drop Down
BullCharts Guru
BullCharts Guru

Post Options Post Options   Quote cmacdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2012 at 10:53am
BC User since June 2007
cmacdon View Drop Down
BullCharts Guru
BullCharts Guru

Post Options Post Options   Quote cmacdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2012 at 10:54am
BC User since June 2007
cmacdon View Drop Down
BullCharts Guru
BullCharts Guru

Post Options Post Options   Quote cmacdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2012 at 10:55am
BC User since June 2007
 Post Reply Post Reply