BullCharts Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > BullCharts > BullScan
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Bollinger Breach in last 3 Days

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
gunnatrada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gunnatrada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bollinger Breach in last 3 Days
    Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 11:27am
Hello all,
I run the default BullScan "Bollinger Breach in last 3 Days".  Somehow the Bolliger Band indicator is automatically added when I open the charts from the scan results.  I have not seen this sort of thing happen with any of the other default scans.

Can anyone explain how the Bollinger Band indicator is automatically added to the scan result charts. 

GunnaTrada (one day)
rbbrain View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote rbbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 9:42am
Hi GunnaTrada,

The observation you describe is a feature of the BullScan module.
When running a scan, any indicator that is specified in the Scan Criteria will produce another column in the Scan Results Table. Then when you create a chart from that table (either double-click on a stock in the list, or use the toolbar button to create a chart), BullCharts will automatically resize the current window "panes" (the price charts etc), and it will add onto the chart any indicators mentioned in the Scan Criteria (which produced the extra columns in the Results Table).

Also note there is an item in the Scan Criteria to "Show this item" instead of just comparing two items.  There are a lot of options there.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Cheers
Robert Brain (Brainy)
Convenor - Australian BullCharts User Group
Brainy's Share Market Toolbox and BullCharts Tips
[/CENTER

Post Options Post Options   Quote gunnatrada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 3:56pm
Thanks Brainey

I'm happy now that I know why the Bollinger band indicater is placed on the chart.

My next question is  why does a breach of the upper or lower Bollinger band get displayed if it is more than 3 days ago? FOr example FLT Flight Centre

GunnaTrada

rbbrain View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote rbbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 4:27pm
Hi,
From your earlier post, I believe you are running the scan (screen shot of scan criteria shown included below), which says "High is greater than the BB Top..."
OR
"Low is less than BB Bottom"... any bar in the last 3 bars.

And the default scan is run on Daily data (see the "Data period type").
And when I look at the FLT price chart with the standard BB applied, I agree. I can't see that FLT has met either of these two optional criteria.
I would guess that there is some other explanation.
It would be useful to observe a couple of things about the resulting scan results table, and the vertical red dotted line on the default chart which is labelled "Scan Date" - to confirm which date was used in the scan as the "Scan as at..." date.

Hoping we can help get to the bottom of it.

Cheers
Robert Brain (Brainy)
[/CENTER

Post Options Post Options   Quote gunnatrada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 5:46pm
Hello Brainy
My scan is the same as the one above except for the snapshot dates. I do not know about these whether important or not.  I am guessing not.

It is interesting that I just run the scan again now and FLT was rejected.  However AAC was accepted even though it did not meet the criteria. I'm still confused

Thanks
GunnaTrada

Post Options Post Options   Quote gunnatrada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 5:58pm
Hello Brainy
I tried to insert the image in my last post but something went wrong this is an attempt to again insert the AAC Chart

GunnaTrada

rbbrain View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote rbbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 6:05pm
Hi.
In the chart of AAC we can see that on the last candle, the spike low for the day penetrated the BB bottom. The scan criteria does say "or... Low less than BB bottom". So this one does meet the criteria in this particular scan.
If you don't want to see any of the penetrations of the Lower band, then in the Scan Criteria you can uncheck this criteria item, and then it will only search for the upper band penetrations.
Cheers
Robert Brain (Brainy)
[/CENTER

Post Options Post Options   Quote gunnatrada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 7:20pm
Hello Brainy

All my problems were misunderstandings on my part.  I now know how to do a scan and have an indicator automatically placed on the scan results charts. 

Also I have learned to look more closely at the scan criteria.   I mistakenly believed the Bollinger Breach in the last 3 days scan was looking for a close either above the upper band or below the lower band.

I jumped to this conclusion because the Bollinger Band indicator Looks for any close above or below the upper or lower band. I realise now (after you pointed it out) that the scan is actually looking for a high above or a low below the bands.

I am pleased you were patient and politely set me straight.

Thank you

GunnaTrada
rbbrain View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote rbbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 10:05am
Hi GunnaTrada,
Many of us go through the learning periods with stuff like this, and we need to ask lots of questions. It's quite okay to ask all the questions, and we are all very happy to be able to help out.
I am glad I have been able to help out.
Feel free to ask some more...
Cheers

Robert Brain (Brainy)
[/CENTER
 Post Reply Post Reply