FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

SPAM messages in the forum?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
rbbrain View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote rbbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SPAM messages in the forum?
    Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 3:07pm
Hi BullCharts Discussion Forum Users,

As a Forum Moderator these days I am watching our discussion forum, and keeping an eye out for unwanted Spam messages and posts.

We seem to be getting about 2 or 3 of these each week. I review all new Forum Member requests, and then monitor for unwanted posts.

As soon as I spot an unwanted post, I disable the user and delete their posts.

As a result, you might find links to Members who are now disabled, or links to posts that no longer exist. So if you have found any of these, this could explain the situation.

If you encounter any unwanted posts before I see them, please feel free to flag them appropriately.

Cheers
Robert Brain (Brainy)
Convenor - Australian BullCharts User Group
Brainy's Share Market Toolbox and BullCharts Tips
[/CENTER
rbbrain View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote rbbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 9:13am
We continue to have new "members" request to join the forum, some of whom post unwanted junk and promotional messages within the next few days.

I delete these and suspend the user as soon as I see them.

Cheers
Robert Brain (Brainy)
[/CENTER
rbbrain View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote rbbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 1:53pm
Hi all,
We continue to get requests for people to join the forum, some of whom post unwanted blatant ads for ugg boots, or watches, or handbags.
As soon as I see these I delete the post and ban the user.
(But let's hope that their temporary posts push up the SEO ranking for our discussion forum.)
Cheers
Robert Brain (Brainy)
[/CENTER
rbbrain View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote rbbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 4:48pm
Hello everyone,

In recent days we have had many more dud requests from spammers to have access to our User Forum, for the purpose of loading junk stuff into the forum (about 120 requests in each of the last 2 days).

So, we now use some "smart" filtering to make sure only legitimate requests get through.

If any new forum members are requesting access, they need to provide a sensible email address, and a sensible Forum User Name. Otherwise, their request will be ignored.

Hopefully we won't be rejecting any valid requests.

We will also start blocking access to the forum from specific IP addresses. These tend to be associated to specific ISPs and locations in Indonesia and China, and should not affect our regular users. If there is an issue, please email us and we will rectify.

Best regards.
Robert Brain (Brainy)
[/CENTER
rbbrain View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote rbbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 10:20am
I am continuing to reject access requests from anyone wanting a User Name, or with an email address, that includes any of the following words: wedding, dress, bag, handbag, shoes, rolex, watch.

And I also reject any rubbish looking names and email addresses with strings like: abcdef, fahjfkhj...
You might be surprised at how many spammers try to register with details like this.

Cheers

Robert Brain (Brainy)
[/CENTER
 Post Reply Post Reply