BullCharts Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > BullCharts > BullScan
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Scan Values Do Not Match Chart Values

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
kennerhk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kennerhk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scan Values Do Not Match Chart Values
    Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 4:40pm
I've run across something very strange.  I ran the Oversold On Both The RSI & Slow Sto scan under the Oversold category in the list of canned scans in BC.  The scan results list clearly shows that all the stocks in the list were within the parameters of the scan.  But when I started going through the charts of those scans, I find that the indicator number/visual on the chart doesn't match the scan results at all in most cases.

For example, in the scan results list it says that for CBMX, one of the results in today's list, the RSI is 26.27 and the SLO STO is 14.41, but when you look at the chart for CBMX, both indicators show the line halfway between the oversold lines (20 and 30) and the 50.  In other words, visually, the results don't match the scan data and pretty radically at that.  I would expect to look at the chart and see the RSI below the 30 line, but it's no where near it.

As a sanity check and to see which one is the correct number, I checked CBMX on stockcharts.com and their RSI value shows as 32.73 vs. 37.87 in the indicator pane value on BC.  The BC RSI value in the scan list is 26.73!!  It's almost as if the scan is calculating the RSI value completely differently than the chart indicator.  Same thing with the SLO STO.  The indicator pane shows a %K as 55.42, stockcharts.com shows 64.30 and the scan lists a value of 14.41! 

Something is way out of whack here.   I can understand slight differences between BC and stockcharts.com (although those numbers are significantly different for the same 14 day scan and SLO STO which is a bit alarming in itself), but why the radical difference in BC's own chart and scan numbers?  And it's not just one stock.  It's almost the entire list.  In this scan alone, the following are way off:
CBMX
CML
CWBC 
FRS - The lines here are almost up to the OVERBOUGHT lines!
FRZ - The lines here are above the 50 on the chart indicator
GHDX - Way off
IN - Lines are at the 50

And on and on and on - like I said, almost the entire list.  Is this a bug or what's the deal?!  Obviously, this has huge ramifications on buy and sell signals and visually scanning charts.
 Post Reply Post Reply