FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Data editing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
peter1 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote peter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Data editing
    Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 11:30pm
Is there a safe and easy way to edit the data provided by Bullcharts?

Some charts contain day(s) with incorrect data (OHLC and/or Volume) and I would like to fix them up. 
rbbrain View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote rbbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 11:44am
Hi Peter1,
My understanding is that the data comes direct from the ASX, and gets updated as appropriate.
It is possible to re-download data for specific days, or for a date range. In the Data Download dialogue, just select the specific date range in question.
If the data still "appears" to be wrong, I would be wondering why it appears wrong. Maybe it isn't? It is important to use a reliable source for the "master" reference for the data. Wondering who you are using for the reference?
Cheers

Robert Brain (Brainy)
Convenor - Australian BullCharts User Group
Brainy's Share Market Toolbox and BullCharts Tips
[/CENTER
rbbrain View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote rbbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 11:45am
Oh... I should add.
My understanding is that it is very difficult to "edit" the BullCharts data.
One thing the developers have tried to do from day one is to maintain a database of guaranteed and reliable data. The last thing they want is for users to come back and say "the cahrt is wrong because the data is screwed'.
So, they lock down the database.

Cheers

Robert Brain (Brainy)
[/CENTER
peter1 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote peter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 4:26pm
I understand to requirement for "locking" the database, but on many occasions this locks in some crappy data which makes my charts look crappy and the indicator values are wrong.

I would like to be able to notify BC about the crappy data so that they might fix it and resend it to all users.

eg. I have some recent crap data on GPT after the cap restructure.  Did anyone else notice?

ps: I do become annoyed when the data is so obviously wrong and nobody takes the time to fix it.
pps: Removing bars with zero volume still leaves daily gaps and the MA's are still incorrect.

Edited by peter1 - 04 Jul 2010 at 4:31pm
rbbrain View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote rbbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 9:12pm
Hi,

You are quite welcome to emal or phone to the BullCharts staff for assistance. Their details are on their web page.  But I suspect you will find that because their data comes from the ASX feed (and it is supposed to be quality data), then the ASX should be taking care of these data change issues.

Don't forget, if you believe you have some data for a past date which you believe is incorrect and which might have since been fixed, you can re-download the data for a single day, or a date-range using the normal download facility. This will download all data for all stocks for the date rnage you specify; but that does not matter.

I think you will also find that the BullCharts staff are adamant that their database should not be tampered with outside of the normal process.  If it were possible to do this, then they would get many complaints about screwed data, and in many cases this woul dbe "user-induced". 

So, please try the re-download again for the date-range, and if still a problem, then phone the staff in Sydney.

Cheers

Robert Brain (Brainy)
[/CENTER
peter1 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote peter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 12:20am
Thanks for your reply Robert.
I gather that your data for GPT has no errors?

I also notice that I have been unable to connect to the BC server since Friday. If this is not corrected on Monday then I will certainly seek further assistance.
rbbrain View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote rbbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 10:43am
Hi Peter,
Which date(s) do you believe is in error?
I can do a screen print of my chart and send to you to compare.
Cheers
Robert Brain (Brainy)
[/CENTER
peter1 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote peter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 11:19am
Good morning Robert. I'm much happier now.
BC finally connected to the server this morning after a few re-starts and I was able to load Fridays data.

The GPT data that is wrong are the days before and after the cap reconstruction. My data has 3 days (12,13,14/5) with zero volume and a price of 0.565. Then there are 7 bars (17/5 - 25/5) with the price of 2.825 again with zero volume.

Yesterday when I used the "Remove zero volume bars from charts option" I was left with black spaces. This stuffed my MA's as you can imagine. This morning the "remove zero bars from charts option" produces the desired charts with no blank spaces. This is good.

Obviously my software had server connection problems and they have now been resolved. I am presuming there has been some behind the scenes maintenance done. (Thank you support)

I am much happier now, like a junkie after a fix. I can proceed to do my weekly scans and prepare any orders for the week.

The incorrect GPT data is still in my database as can be seen when I uncheck the "remove zero volume bars from charts" option. Now I wonder whether this data effects my scans. I think it does. 
peter1 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote peter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 11:27am
Hmm... there is still a bit of work to do. The blank spaces (GPT) re-appear when I apply some of my daily chart templates, not all.  I will try re-creating my templates starting with a plain chart page (which shows no blanks) and see if that fixes this problem. 
peter1 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote peter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 12:05pm
I've discovered why this happens. One of my daily templates includes a very faint line chart overlay of the XAO. Obviously the XAO chart has data on those days that GPT didn't trade, so GPT needs to include blank spaces in the chart. I can accept this.

Note: I use the XAO overlay so that I can quickly see if the ASX300 security is behaving in a similar manner to the index. The main benefit of this is to identify divergences and trade these opportunities.

An example: In mid Apr 10 the XAO was making a new highs above 5000, when this started to reverse at the start of May I decided to look for a few shorts to reduce my long directional exposure. The best stocks to look for shorting opportunities were those stocks that did not make new highs at this time. DOW was a good example as it did not make a new high in Apr. and broke a support line at 7.00. This XAO overlay provides a quick evaluation of a stocks performance relative to the index.

I included this note for interest to the few that have been reading my rants in this thread. 
 Post Reply Post Reply