FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Computers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
jalna View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote jalna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Computers
    Posted: 19 Apr 2009 at 12:30pm
Hi, need some help. Need to get a new computer and want to run the new beta version of BC.Is anyone running this and what computer are you using. Anyone running it on a laptop too. Is it working on Vista ?
Any suggestions on a good computer brand and how much I would  need to pay
Lap top and Desk top
I believe its best to steer clear of Acer and Dell. Have been suggested Lenova but there seems to be a few unhappy customers on the Internet.
Mustard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mustard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 9:34pm

Sorry not much help on which computer as they are improving these days faster than I can keep up with. My destop is custom built by the local computer store, especially to handle 6 monitors. Laptop is a Lenovo for backup and on the run and very happy with it.

Bullcharts is a very hungry program for memory  so whatever you do make sure your computer has heaps of RAM (2-4 gb) and processing speed to match it. That way you can run BC, your trading platform, IE without too much trouble. 512mb RAM is not enough to run other progarms simultaneously.

Mustard
jalna View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote jalna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2009 at 5:46pm
Thanks Mustard for your reply. A guy is building me one, which will hopefully workbeautifully. Cheapest I could find but with good bits in it $700 -seems a good price. Pick it up Monday and got my Beta BC ready to load. I'm hoping the alerts will be a big hel[p for me. I need to keep track of stock I'm interested in more closely
rbbrain View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote rbbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 11:56am
Hi all,

Might be a bit late; but let me add a comment.

I have been running BullCharts 3.8 since last October (helping with the beta testing), and the latest 3.8.2 beta for a couple of weeks.  The home office PC is a 2yo desktop with 4GB RAM and Windows XP; but I also run BC on a 6yo Dell D600 laptop with 2GB RAM (at the BC User Group meetings in Oakleigh).  BC on the laptop is just a little slow, especially if I also run Open Office (presentations) at the same time. Otherwise, it runs reasonably.

BC version? - I have no issues with the lates beta (3.8.2). Sometimes occasional glitch (but any software package has glitches).

PC - I have not run BC on Vista. But an XP computer for the latest BC beta should have at least 2GB RAM (extra certainly helps); an dcan be up to about 3 to4 years old easy.

Hope this helps for anyone else browsing the forum.
Robert Brain (Brainy)
Convenor - Australian BullCharts User Group
Brainy's Share Market Toolbox and BullCharts Tips
[/CENTER
jalna View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote jalna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 1:19pm
Hi Robert, I am running the beta version too. I have skipped a few BC versions but finding my computer starts to go very slow when it uploads my template especially if it has the SIROC on it. I'm a bit disappointed with my new computer. I thought it wld be faster, it is no faster than my old one but then I have skipped up at least 3 versions of BC.  I love the alerts, terrific. It has been suggested that perhaps I need to give the video card more RAM. Shall get a friend to fiddle with it
jalna View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote jalna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 1:22pm
The computer is a AMD 7750 dualcore
2.71ghz
3.43gb of RAM
Is this a fast computer ? I have no idea
rbbrain View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote rbbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2009 at 3:40pm
Hi jalna,

If your PC is a "new" one then it should be fast enough.
3.43 GB of RAM is plenty (for Windows XP).
I am not familiar with the AMD CPU you mention (if you are really keen you could look for Windows performance results using a bench makring tool like WinBench, or PassMark, etc.

I find the biggest culprit with new computers is the extra crap that the supplier installs - eg. Google Toolbar, anti-virus software (et. Nortons), Roxio, plus, plus, plus....  If you understand enough about it, check the contents of MSCONFIG, or look at the running processes, etc. maybe using Process Explorer.  You might find a lot of extra rubbish running that is not needed.  (If you do't know enough about this, find someon who knows what they are talking about - I can do this remotely if you want, but for a small fee - it's part of what I do.)

BUT, these days a lot of software will check for updates at start up time. So when you start up the PC at start of day, walk away and leave it for 5+ minutes - until the flashing Hard Drive activity light stops flashing hard.

Robert Brain (Brainy)
Convenor - Australian BullCharts User Group
Brainy's Share Market Toolbox and BullCharts Tips
[/CENTER
 Post Reply Post Reply