BullCharts Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > BullCharts > BullCharts discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Line Chart- of Lows, not Close?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote trader_noobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Line Chart- of Lows, not Close?
    Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 10:21pm
Hello,

I'm a new user of BullCharts, and have been wondering how I can change the Line chart from charting the closing price, to charting the days' low/high price? This is to help assist me in placing trendlines.

Thanks very much for your assistance!
peter1 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote peter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 1:39pm
That is not as easy as I thought it might be.
You may have to change the line chart to bars in order to draw your trendlines.

It is possible to create an indicator to display the line of the lows or highs but this gets a little more involved than simple selecting the bar chart.
rbbrain View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote rbbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 1:43am
Hi,

Sorry for not noticing this question earlier - as I have a possible solution.

If you are happy to have the chart look like two line charts - with one line being the Lows, and the other being the Highs, then you can do as follows:
  1. Display Candles (just to confirm correct location of the next 2 lines).
  2. Insert Indicator - Simple Moving Average of HIGH prices, with Time Period = 1
  3. Insert Indicator - Simple Moving Average of LOW prices, with Time Period = 1

You should then see the candle chart, with all the Highs clearly joined by a straight line, and the Lows clearly joined by another.  You can "hide" the candles using the Layer Manager, and unchecking the candle price plot. (I have actually taken a screen shot of the result and tried to upload to the server for viewing but I got an error, so I have just posted it temporarily on my web site here: http://www.hotkey.net.au/~brain/temp/Highs-and-Lows.jpg )

If you like this solution and want to apply it easily to other charts, then you would need to create a new indicator that is the combined two moving averages as described. This should be do-able. If you are stuck, let me know and I will have a bash for you.

Robert Brain (Brainy)
Convenor - Australian BullCharts User Group
Brainy's Share Market Toolbox and BullCharts Tips
[/CENTER
 Post Reply Post Reply