BullCharts Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > BullCharts > BullCharts discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Is Bullchart ODBC ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote chart rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Bullchart ODBC ?
    Posted: 30 Oct 2008 at 1:00pm
Hello all,

I have recently started using Matlab to develop and test trading strategies, currently reading the data from Bullcharts by way of csv files.

An add on module is available for Matlab to import data from any ODBC compliant database.

Is anybody able to advise if Bullcharts is ODBC compliant and what does this actually mean?

CR
rbbrain View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote rbbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 12:14pm
Hi,
Maybe this is useful info (or maybe we shouldn't be saying these things):
The BC data is a Microsoft SQL database, and as such should be ODBC compliant.  But you might not get much help with understanding the database structure as the BC team consider it proprietary, and they guard it closely.
Re: trading strategies: Have you looked at how nicely TradeSim fits in with BullCharts?  You can create the entry and exit criteria in a "TradeSim" type of BC Scan, using the standard BC scanning features.  Then run the scan for a date range, and the results end up in a TradeSim "trades" database where you can run the simulation of trading activity with a whole bunch of parameters - I really like it.  (It has a plug in for BC and for MetaStock - it deserves more local user support.)

TradeSim is pretty cheap (<$200) - check it out here: http://www.compuvision.com.au/
and download for a trial period.

It would be good to build up the usage of this great product amongst BC users, and encourage our own support community.
Robert Brain (Brainy)
Convenor - Australian BullCharts User Group
Brainy's Share Market Toolbox and BullCharts Tips
[/CENTER
chart rider View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote chart rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2008 at 8:12pm

rb

Thanks for the feedback.  I've been using the enterprise edition of tradesim for a few years now and found it to be an excellent program.

Lately been testing pairs trading strategies, for which bullcharts+tradesim struggles with, can be done, but not very effectively.  It turns out that the ODBC module for matlab is quite expensive but I found a way around - wrote a simple bullcharts scan to extract the EOD prices for the sectors of interest, which I then read into tradesim.  From tradesim the database can be easily exported to csv format, which can then be easily read into matlab.

Similarly, the trade simulation results from matlab are easily imported into tradesim to allow montecarlo analysis etc.  So, it all worked out well in the end.

CR

Post Reply Post Reply