BullCharts Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > BullCharts > BullScan
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

scan MACD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
billy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote billy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scan MACD
    Posted: 27 May 2005 at 11:29am

I don't know how to make up scans in bullcharts and was woundering if someone could help me.  I want to make a scan where the MACD is at or crossed the signal line in the past day.  Also if volume has incresed say 150%.

Any help would be most appreciated

pipsqueek View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote pipsqueek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2005 at 11:30pm

I don't know how much you know about using Bullscans, Billy, but I'm assuming you can find and run one of the existing scans, but can't write your own at the moment.

Try this. It's not a technical description, so good luck...I hope it makes sense.

Create a new scan, go to the 'general' tab, give it an appropriate name such as MACD crossover and put your own name in the author tab. You want to be able to find this easily within all the inbuilt scans.

From the scan criteria tab, click on 'new' at the base of the window. For 'First value' select "is an indicator signal" using the drop down menu. The white space under this now shows 'moving average'. Change it to MACD. Click on the "parameters" tab and make sure that "marker" is showing "above". Leave "0" bars and "unchanged" as they are.

The first "condition" window probably shows "is greater than". Use the drop down menu to select "is true". The next window should show "any" and the third window  "1". (You can change the "1" to a 2 or 3 if you want the crossover to have occurred within the past 2 or 3 days.)

Click "OK" to close your scan criteria properties window.

That should give you the MACD crossing its signal line in the last day and would look like

MACD (12, 26, 9) Above is true. 

This will tell you if your MACD has crossed "above" its signal line in the past period.

Now for the volume.

From the scan criteria tab click onto "new" at the base of the window. You want to make the "first value" windows show "is a price or chart field", "volume", "0" and "unchanged".

Now make the "condition" window show "is greater or equal to", "any" and "1"

Now make the "second value "window show "is a price or chart field", "volume", "1" bars ago, "multiplied by", "175" and check (tick) the %box.

Click "OK" to exit the criteria properties window.

On the "scan criteria" window, make sure that the "match all criteria" box is ticked and that you have selected the time frame you want...daily weekly etc.

From the securities tab you can add the stocks you want to san.

Click "apply and run."

There are other ways of doing what you want, but this should work. I've just run it on the all ords and there were several "hits".

failing to plan is planning to fail.
pipsqueek View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote pipsqueek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2005 at 11:33pm

Whoops .... just noticed I used 175% for your volume, Billy, instead of the 150% you specified.

Sorry.

failing to plan is planning to fail.
billy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote billy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2005 at 6:55pm
Thanks very much for that pipsqueek
 Post Reply Post Reply