FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Scanning individual stocks/indexes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
Cobra View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scanning individual stocks/indexes
    Posted: 14 Dec 2004 at 8:55pm

I am trying to set up a scan with a criteria to check that the ASX200 (or for that matter any security) closing value has been rising for the last X periods. I can't see a way to do this with the normal scanning builder, but I assume you can do it with script?. Does script have a keyword/operand for security?. Or, a way to 'bias' a scan to take into account the general market momentum via XJO or XAO. eg 'XJO has been rising for the last 5 periods'
Thanks in advance

Peter View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2004 at 9:11am
To scan for securities in the ASX200 that have risen every bar for the last 5 bars create a criteria like you suggest "close has increased every bar in the last 5 bars". Then in the securities tab, remove the Ordinaries group and add the ASX/200 group.

But if you mean, check the ASX200 index at the same time as scanning other securities, then there's presently no way of doing this. This requires that both the index and the security be loaded into the scanner simultaneously, which isn't currently possible. However it is something we're going to be working on in 2005. So you'll be able to do scans like, "find all companies that have consistently risen relative to the ASX/200".

chart rider View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote chart rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2004 at 9:36pm

Peter

Scanning the condition of a security and index concurrently would definitely be a handy feature to have.  If I understand correctly, this will also allow additional conditions to be configured into a back test, such as to check the status of XAO indicators together with those of the security being back tested, so that a buy simulation is triggered only under certain conditions of the All Ords.  Mabe you can tell me if I my thinking is right?

Chart Rider

Peter View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2004 at 9:22am
Yep. 
 Post Reply Post Reply