FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

BullCharts performance, freeze, slow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
rbbrain View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote rbbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BullCharts performance, freeze, slow
    Posted: 05 Jul 2009 at 9:16am
Hi all,

This message post is to record some details of a strange glitch that I encountered the last few days, and for which there is a work around.

Symptoms:
(a) Bullcharts seems to freeze for a few minutes when switching from one time period to another (eg. Daily to Weekly).
(b) I have some text and lines drawn on the chart (XJO).  And when I delete one of these items, it is still there. And I try to delete it again, and it is still there.  On further investigation I find that this is because there are about 20 copies of this item all dropped one on top of each other (not sure how this happens, unless it is something to do with turning IntelliCharts on/off all the time).

More details: IntelliCharts is turned on (but I frequently turn it off, then on, then off, then on - for a good reason).
Windows XP, 2yo PC, 4GB RAM.

Observation: The IntelliCharts file has a problem.
It has grown from the normal 22kB when first created to be 10 times that at 243kB.

Fix: Manually delete (or rename) the IntelliCharts file.

How to delete the IntelliCharts file? Remember that a separate disk file is kept for each security (and for each period if you have selected that option in Tools > Preferences > IntelliCharts). Find the folder that stores all these files (in Tools > Preferences > Files).
(a) Make sure you are not viewing the stock in question - best to close BullCharts completely.
(b) Use Windows Explorer (ie. My Computer) and navigate to this folder, then find the right file (it is simply named the same as the security code - eg. for the index XJO, the file is called XJO.bc; and if you save IntelliCharts for each period, then the Daily one will be XJO_Daily.bc).
(c) Once you find this file, simply delete it. 
(d) Then go back to BullCharts and all the annotations will be gone for that stock.

cheers

Edited by rbbrain - 05 Jul 2009 at 9:23am
Robert Brain (Brainy)
Convenor - Australian BullCharts User Group
Brainy's Share Market Toolbox and BullCharts Tips
[/CENTER
 Post Reply Post Reply