BullCharts Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > BullCharts > BullScript
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Stepped price Indicator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
RODCAM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RODCAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stepped price Indicator
    Posted: 24 Mar 2008 at 7:02pm

Anyone able to help with an indicator I am trying to code. Conceptually all I want is to plot the closing price in steps as it increases or decreases by a set input percentage, a bit like a Renko chart but shown as a line chart. As an example, if the closing price starts a $5.00 and the input step amount is 10% the plot will show a $5 price until the actual close  increases to $5.10 or it decreases to $4.90 etc. The plot continues but price increases or decreases are only shown as 10% increases or decreases. The intention is simply to filter out the noise in price movements until the price increases or decreases by the set amount (i.e. 10%). Therefore, the chart would appear as a series of 10% steps rather than fluctations of 1% or 2% or whatever revealed by a normal plot of closing prices. Not sure if the coding below helps but it may help explain what I am trying to achieve even though it does not work as I intended. The steps don't have to be precisely the input step increments but this is the minimum level in the step. For example, if the price increased by 12% then a step increase in the price by 6% would be shown in the plot, rather than just 10%.

increase:= input("Step Size %",5);

prev(if(C> hist(c,1)*(1+increase/100) OR

C< hist(c,1)*(1-increase/100),

C,

if(C> hist(c,1)*(1+increase/100),

hist(c,1)*(1+increase/100),

hist(c,1)*(1-increase/100))));

Cheers

RODCAM

Edited by RODCAM
RODCAM - Brisbane
maximo View Drop Down
BullCharts Guru
BullCharts Guru

Post Options Post Options   Quote maximo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2008 at 2:14pm

Hi,

Not quite sure what you mean.. like a picture says a 1000 words but unfortunately we dont have one.   I worked on this percentage based indicator for visualising a % stoploss and also for confirmation of rising trends etc.   It filters out the noise okay and you maybe able to adjust it to your needs. 

[citation=Percentage Trailing Stop]

[LineStyle=Solid; Target=Price; Color=Dodger Blue]

Period:=input("LinearReg Average", 15, 1);

Displace:=input("Risk Percent %", 2, 0);

Flag:=input("Retreat (1=On, 0=Off)",1,0,1);

DD:=If (Flag=0,Period,2);

calc:= If(LinearReg(C,period)<PREV,If(LinearReg(C,period)+(ATR(period)*DD)<PREV,LinearReg(C,period)+(ATR(period)*DD),PREV),LinearReg(C,period));

calc*(1-Displace/100);

RODCAM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RODCAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2008 at 8:32pm

Maximo I drafted a clarification but somehow it did not get posted because I pushed the wrong button, so I'll try again. I want to create an indicator similar to the highest high (i.e. a step plot of prices showing series of plateaus with step ups and down) except that I want to set the minimum incremental step size, say to  10% as an example, which is plotted as a step chart. The plot would not show a step up or down unless the cumulative step increment/decrement was breached by the actual high price. For simplicity, let’s just use the table below to clarify. The step chart plot stays flat at 5.00 until the actual high price breaches the cumulative 10% step level (i.e. 5.0 +10% or 5.00 – 10%) in the first instance it is at period 6 when the actual high equals 5.50. The plot then remains flat until the next point where the step level is breached. (i.e. period 8 or 8.00) the plot then falls to 4.00 at period 10. My confusion relates to how to code so the  reference point for calculating the cumulative step (i.e. at the point of each step up or down). On reflection perhaps my dilemma and shortcomings are much more deep seated.  Any assistance you can offer is greatly appreciated. RODCAM

Step level = 10%

Period:              1 ;     2;       3;       4 ;      5;      6;        7;        8;       9;       10;

Actual price : 5.00; 5.10; 5.20; 5.30; 5.40; 5.50; 5.80; 8.00; 8.50; 4.00;

Plot:         & nbsp;        5.00; 5.00; 5.00; 5.00; 5.00; 5.50; 5.50; 8.00; 8.00; 4.00;

RODCAM - Brisbane
RODCAM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RODCAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 9:20pm

After trying a couple of approaches to the coding, most of which were much more complex, the example below is the simplest method that illustrates the desired end result. The shortcoming with the example is that it uses the zig zag (peak) method so the step increments are not necessarily close to the target input step increment since the peaks can be much greater than the input step increment. Also, the latest peak on the plot can change because of the way the zig zag (peak) function works. The outcome I want is to use the first close or high that breaches the input step increment in either an up or down direction.  Anyone got any ideas on a better way to code? RODCAM

[target=price]

inc:= input("Step increment",5);

pds := input("High periods",1);

hhv(peak(1,C, inc),pds)

RODCAM - Brisbane
maximo View Drop Down
BullCharts Guru
BullCharts Guru

Post Options Post Options   Quote maximo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 9:44pm

Okay Rod, missing just one key ingredient, like a reference over what period?  Is the requirement to use a Moving Average of this percentage over a number of bars?  orrr Highest - Lowest of a period of days?    which also determines when the line will go down instead of up.

Here's a test indicator that shows daily percent range.  As you can see its very choppy and needs a reference over a period of time like an Average or HHV.   I used hist() to factor in any gaps between bars.

{individual bar percent change}

[color=blue]

Bperc:=(H-L)/hist(L,1);

Bperc;

{highest bar percent in 8 bars}

[color=lime green; linestyle=dotted]

HHV(Bperc,8);

{lowest bar percent in 8 bars}

[color=red; linestyle=dotted]

LLV(Bperc,8);

maximo View Drop Down
BullCharts Guru
BullCharts Guru

Post Options Post Options   Quote maximo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2008 at 12:42am

Ahhh now i see what you might be after.. Percentages vary from  chart to chart too much to be effective on their own.  So perhaps this support and resistance level indicator I wrote last month would be useful.  It uses a moving average as it's reference point to switch the line up or down, depending if it closes above or below that average.   You'l see it's very effective for breakouts up or down (breakdowns). 

{Support & Resistance }

[Target=price]

LookBack := Input("Look Back Periods",20,1);

F:=input("Labels (1=On, 0=Off)",1,0,1);

A:=input("Average (1=On, 0=Off)",1,0,1);

Resistance := ValueWhen(1,Cross(ma(C,LookBack,S),C),HHV(H,LookBack+10));

Support := ValueWhen(1,Cross(C,ma(C,LookBack,S)),LLV(L,LookBack+10));

[color=blue]

Resistance;

[color=red]

Support;

[color=rgb(255,204,0)] {Gold}

if(A,ma(C,LookBack,S),undefined);

[linestyle=marker; marker=type2; name=Breakout]

BO:=if(F AND C>Resistance AND hist(Close,1)<=Resistance,1,0);

if(BO and hist(barssince(BO),1)>8,1,0);

[linestyle=marker; marker=type1; name=Breakdown]

BD:=if(F AND C<Support AND hist(Close,1)>=Support,1,0);

if(BD and hist(barssince(BD),1)>8,1,0);

blackdog View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote blackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2008 at 11:50am

Rodcam,

I think the following code does what you want.

[description="plot the closing price in steps as it increases or decreases by a set input percentage, a bit like a Renko chart but shown as a line chart"]

[target=Price; author=zzz; category=zzz]

steps := input("step percentage",10,0);

blueline:= if (C*(1+steps/100)<=prev,C,

if (C*(1-steps/100)>=prev, C,prev));

[name="blueline"; color=blue; width=2; linestyle=solid;]

blueline;

regards,

BD

RODCAM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RODCAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2008 at 6:11pm

Congratulations BD you get the cigar - at least on paper because after some other insights provided to me today I was able to code exactly what I was after before having read your post. (yeah..sure  ) It is pretty much the same as your coding with a minor difference and some colors. For those interested it is:

[target=price; author=Cameron, Rod; category=zzz]

expr:= Expression("Expression",C);

a:= input("Step %", 21, 0, 100);

b:= a/100;

base:= if(expr>=prev(expr)*(1+b), prev(expr)*(1+b),

if(expr<=prev(expr)*(1-b), prev(expr)*(1-b),

prev(expr)));

base;

upper:= base*(1+b);

upper;

lower:= base*(1-b);

lower;

[linestyle=fill; color=green]

upper; base;

[color=red]

base; lower;

I have not yet had a chance to check out the results of Maximo's coding but I will sometime over the weekend. As he correctly concluded my indicator is just another form or support & resistance, but I specifically wanted to use % since the fixed % steps allow you to visually roughly calculate profits or losses of price breakouts...everyone to their own!

Thanks BD and Maximo.  Rod

RODCAM - Brisbane
maximo View Drop Down
BullCharts Guru
BullCharts Guru

Post Options Post Options   Quote maximo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2008 at 11:33pm

Thanks blackdog always a help!

blackdog View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote blackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2008 at 1:37pm
Rodcam,

It is very interesting to see the "minor differences" between your code and my code produce such large differenced in the graph. Your code limits the change to the step amount while in mine the step went to the new value of C when triggered.

I have been looking at it on CSL daily using 10% steps. Your code is much less succeptable to zigzagging than mine.

Very nicely done rodcam!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>