FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

v 3.6.6 - possible bug? "window freezes"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
rbbrain View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote rbbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: v 3.6.6 - possible bug? "window freezes"
    Posted: 23 Sep 2007 at 12:05pm

hi,

A couple of us in the Melb User Group have experienced a strange glitch with v3.6.6. It seems to be affecting only a couple of users.

Symptom: 

1.       Start BullCharts, and create a new Price Chart, and then click on the "Text Tool" toolbar button on the Line Studies Toolbar, then click on the chart to position the text note.  A small "locator" symbol appears on the chart but the "Note Properties" dialogue box does not open.

2.       Open a pre-defined Scan, and try to "Edit" the scan properties.  The BullScan Properties dialogue box fails to open.  Note that the BullCharts window Title Bar "fades" as normal, as though the dialogue box did open.  Note:  the Scan dialogue box actually DOES open; but it is BEHIND the main BullCharts window.  To verify this, re-size the BullCharts window (either to a second monitor, or just make it smaller than about a quarter of the screen area). Then try opening the Scan.  The Scan dialogue box opens up “behind” the main BullCharts window.

3.       On a price chart, add the “Trades Indicator”, then try to add an Indicator to the Trades pane, and click on the  "Next" button to customise the settings.  The dialogue box does not open.

I think we have found a work around - happy to share details if you have this problem.

Robert Brain (Brainy)
Convenor - Australian BullCharts User Group
Brainy's Share Market Toolbox and BullCharts Tips
[/CENTER
Marco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Marco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2008 at 9:42am
Hey Robert, I just upgraded from 3.4.x to 3.6.7
I am seeing all the problems you describe above, particularly point 2...so many windows open behind the main chart window that it is too incredibly frustrating to use. In fact, Bullscan Manager is just too painful to use as is.
I don't have a dual monitor, but would happy to here any advice you might have....
In case its important, I'm on XP SP2 laptop, 1GB RAM. The upgrade  worked without any errors.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marco

rbbrain View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote rbbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2008 at 9:16am

hi Marco,

Sorry for delay in replying.

The short term fix that I found is to find one particular settings file and delete it (see details below).

I have since found that there is a particular sequence of steps that can reproduce the problem - every time.  I am writing this up to send to the BullCharts people as a bug for rectification.  In the meantime, you could try to determine the steps you followed to make it happen, and then for the time being just avoid using that sequence.  I will post more details here soon.

Now, which file?:.....  it is called Toolbarlayout.3.6.6.26717.DNB   and it is in this sub-folder:  C:\Documents and Settings\xxx\Application Data\BullSystems\BullCharts\ToolbarLayout   (where the xxx is your Windows XP user name).

Action to take:  Simply (a) close BullCharts if it is open, and (b) delete this file.  BullCharts will recreate this file the next time it starts, and it will setup some default settings (it is an XML file with a variety of settings for tool bar layouts, and screen layout, etc.). 

Why does this happen? I believe this problem occurs due to a corruption of a small part of this DNB file.

Until I realised it was a particular sequence of steps that caused this problem for me, I kept a clean copy of the DNB file, and if the problem occurred, I jist closed BullCharts, and then deleted the current corrupt file, and "copied" the saved one with the correct name.

I am assuming above that you can navigate around Windows, and find the suspect file, and delete it, etc.  If not, we might be able to arrange some more details.

Robert Brain (Brainy)
[/CENTER
Marco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Marco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2008 at 7:42pm
Robert,
thank you for you detailed answer. No problems navigating.
I deleted my ToolbarLayout.3.6.7.21815.dnb file out of said directory, and Voila! Bullcharts is working normally again.

I have since opened and closed Bullcharts a couple of times and notice that the problem tends resurfaces. So, I will spend some time seeing if I can detect a particular pattern or particular steps that cause the problem to occur.

For now, I will do what you do, save a clean copy and use this as required.

Support suggested I no t use Auto Hide on the Securities Manager sidebar, and this actually dis help with some of the Windows but not all. For example, the "Preferences" menu would always still throw up a full sized transparent window, fading out Bullcharts.
Perhaps some settings from the sidebar are captured into XML and corrupting the Toolbar file in some way? I might to some further testing in days to come regarding this.

Once again, thanks for your assistance.

Marco

rbbrain View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote rbbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 3:06pm

hi Marco,

I am glad you have made progress with this.

Let me know how you go. Between us we might be able to help the BullSystems identify the bug and get it resolved.

many thanks

Robert Brain (Brainy)
[/CENTER
Marco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Marco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 3:20pm
Hey Robert,

At least for me, the issue does seem to be tied with using the Sidebar in Autohide mode, and Bullcharts Support has acknowledged that this will be fixed in the next release (I'm currently using 3.6.7.21815).

So, as an example if you see a window fail to open, but it fades the main Bullcharts window, I do this:

1) restart Bullcharts
2) pin my sidebar so it does not auto-close.
3) Close Bullcharts.
4) Delete the ToolbarLayout file.
5) Restart Bullcharts.

Looks like my issues have gone away since I did this. In fact, it it so stable I can live with the sidebar staying like this, even though it is not my preference.
rbbrain View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote rbbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 10:11am

Hi Marco,

Many thanks for this latest info. I will share it with the Melbourne User Group - some of them will be very interested.

I am glad that you are now a happy BullCharts user?

Robert Brain (Brainy)
[/CENTER
rbbrain View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote rbbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2009 at 9:08am
Hi all,

Just to confirm, I have been using 3.8 since October 2008 (and 3.8.2 for the last several weeks), and the problem described above has not occurred (touch wood ;-)

cheers
Robert Brain (Brainy)
[/CENTER
 Post Reply Post Reply