BullCharts Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > BullCharts > BullCharts discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Chart Pattern Recognition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
Alex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chart Pattern Recognition
    Posted: 12 Mar 2006 at 9:48am

While BullCharts does have some chart pattern recognition (CPR) indicators, there have been some forum requests to expand this area.

For those who are either new to CPR (eg myself) or, are seeking an interim measure, I mention the following for those not aware of this resource.

Firstly, an excellent book has recently been released "Getting Started In Chart Patterns" by Thomas N Bulkowski ($30.95 at Dymocks)...the author has written other larger books on this topic but this is couched at the beginner/intermediate trader and is a fun read - plenty of information (300 pages) with a touch of humour unlike most serious titles out there - 5* rating at Amazon.

Secondly, Bulkowski maintains a website chocked full of free CPR goodies including a downloadable a CPR program from which you can select from/upto 65 patterns to run against your data.....perhaps this is an indication of what BullCharts maybe like when this feature is fully implemented.....go to http://mysite.verizon.net/resppzq7/index.html .

The only issue with using Bulkowski's program is access to data (viz csv - date,o,h,l,c,volume files) as I understand BullCharts does not have an export function.  While I have Metastock data downloads which it would appear can export txt files to a spreadsheet etc etc I will leave it open to interested forum members to nominate an easier source of data.

Edited by Alex
Alex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2006 at 10:51am
For some reason the previous Web link did not appear to work....I have updated this which now appears OK.
Brendon View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brendon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2006 at 3:22pm

Thanks for the site on chart patterns.  Something for the future.

As part of your BullCharts subscription we can email you daily a data filedate,o,h,l,c,volume.  Would this help?

In the Tools/Price area there is a historical tool that allows you to save a csv file for a single stock.

Another option with tab separation is the open in context menu Copy plot data - right hand click on the mouse.

PS We do have oneBulkowski book

Post Reply Post Reply