FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Exits..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
etrader View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote etrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exits..
    Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 12:59pm

I have spent hours testing scenarios in Tradesim - great addition !

My problem is exiting at close on the current day [if I bought the stock the same day], or the next day at close.

Examples below:

the entry was on the green arrow at open, and the system exited at the close on the day of the red arrow. The exit setting are setup as below "forcing the exit after 1 bar". From the bar chart above you can see my problem. Forcing exit after one bar means, a complete 1 bar/day is skipped between the entry and exit. Can I force via a script, the exit to be the same day close as the green arrow or the next day close. This will enable me to complete testing some theories.

cheers etrader  

Edited by etrader
pipsqueek View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote pipsqueek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 10:26pm

Hi Etrader

I've had the same problem.

I notice that when the exit criteria are actually met on the bar of entry or on the very next bar after entry, that the system exits the trade.

However, if the exit criteria are NOT met on either the entry bar or the follwing bar, then the system takes an exit on the third bar as per your diagram.

At no stage have I delayed either exits or entries. The "force exit after one bar" doesn't seem to do what I would expect it to do.

No doubt there is some logic here that has has escaped me, but I'd love to know what it is.

Here's hoping someone can enlighten us.

regards, Pipsqueek

failing to plan is planning to fail.
etrader View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote etrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2005 at 2:02pm

Pipsqueek, think i got it !  dreampt on it, sad eh ! I have tested it and looks to be working perfectly. I also use bullscript for the exit price, and subtract 0.01 from the close for a reality check, this allows for some slippage, bids/asks etc.

Use a filter to meet the conditions as below, then use CLOSE for EXIT PRICE [this will exit the same day as you enter] or check the box DELAY ENTRY BY ONE BAR [this will exit you at close the day after, or the bar between the green and red arrows at the beginning of this post]. You do not need the force exit after one bar cheked at all using this method !

Exit Tab:

close < entryprice  OR  close >= entryprice

[entryprice being prev high + 0.01, or whatever you choose]

regards etrader

Edited by etrader
pipsqueek View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote pipsqueek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2005 at 10:12pm

Hi Etrader

Aren't dreams wonderful things? Solved many a problem that way myself.

Your solution works if you just want to get out of a position on either the entry bar or the next bar and do not have an exit condition that is sometimes true and sometimes false. I've actually used

Exit Tab:

volume>=0

and it works in much the same way as your own exit tab. Both of them always equate to the "true" condition and so we exit.

The problem, as I find it, is when I have a different exit that does not ALWAYS equate to true ...say  close<hist(close,1)  for argument sake and I want to force an exit after 1 or 2 bars if this exit has not been triggered. THAT's when I get the problem you mentioned in your initial post on the issue.

I'll have another look at it all when I get some free time.

regards, pipsqueek

failing to plan is planning to fail.
 Post Reply Post Reply