FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Scans incorporating different periods.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
davkell View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote davkell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scans incorporating different periods.
    Posted: 01 Apr 2005 at 12:02am

Peter;

Is it possible (and if not, can you make it), to have scans that search for criteria incorporating different time periods.

For example, could I develop a single scan utilising Alexander Elder's Triple Screen approach. Ie. Search for stocks in uptrends on Weekly charts, but hitting temporary retracements on Daily charts?

Curious?

"Trade Your Way To Financial Freedom."
Peter View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2005 at 9:45am
The easiest way to achieve this would be to run it as two separate scans:
  1. Run the weekly scan looking for the uptrends
  2. Copy the results into a watchlist
  3. Create a daily scan that ran over the watchlist

IT-Trader View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote IT-Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2005 at 10:55pm
I noticed this from April this year, is this still the case in v3.1.0?

I'm evaluating Bullcharts at the mo. and one feature I use in Metastock regularly is to perform a scan on one time period first then pipe the results into a second scan on a different time period.

While the work around above obviously works it adds an extra step that adds time and effort where none is presently required.

Thanks in advance,
ITT.

Brendon View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brendon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2005 at 9:31am
Sorry that feature is not supported as yet.  We will have a look at how Metastock does it and add as a new feature.  It is good idea.
IT-Trader View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote IT-Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2005 at 10:40am
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I do hope it doesn't turn out to be too difficult, this is such a frequent activity in my trading day and would allow me to ditch Metastock entirely.  (This of course has knock-on issues of which data provider I use as I'll currently have to stay with Metastock format data until this feature is supported.

Thanks for listening, I've been quite surprised how much user feedback appears to have been reflected in the devlopment.

ITT.

Brendon View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brendon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2005 at 11:26am

If you can give me step by step what you are doing in Metastock I can be quicker in determining what we can do. (I have Version 8).  What would help is any screen captures on Word what you do so we understand more.  Please email to brendonL@bullsystems.com

Much appreciated.

Edited by Brendon
IT-Trader View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote IT-Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2005 at 5:55pm
That would be great, thanks Brendon.

You'll have it by Monday morning.

ITT.
Brendon View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brendon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2005 at 5:48pm

We plan to allow uses to do 2 things

1. select multiple scans to scan sequentially.  You will be able to chnage the order or the scans

2. for multiple scans the data set can be set as:

a. use results from previous scan

b. use the select Security list for that scan.

Let us know if have any further comments.  It is planned for later this year or early next year as we will be releasing 3.1.1 in a few weeks.

Post Reply Post Reply