FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Trend Channel idea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
kneighbour View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneighbour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trend Channel idea
    Posted: 02 Mar 2005 at 8:27am

In my training, I was taught a certain way to trade a change of trend trade. Basically, you enter when price action moves above the trend line PLUS market noise. The "market noise" concept is what concerns me here.

In blue chip stocks, and on weekely data, we use a figure of 2.5% as the market noise figure. So I setup the Trend Channel drawing tool at 2.5% and that is fine. Does the job. It would be nice to have the trend channel lines with a different attribute (ie dotted or a different colour), but the real problem is the 2.5%.

Market noise is relevent to the market you are in, and the time interval. 2.5% might not be suitable for spec stocks on daily charts, for example. In this situation it is better to use something like a multiple of ATR. ie +/- 0.5ATR.

My suggestion is - would it be possible to add an option to the Trend Channel tool where we can do this? I presume that it would have to get the ATR figure from the last price bar.

Post Reply Post Reply